WeLcOmE: Http://saiful-anis.blogspot.com Headline Animator

Transformers Revenge of The Fallen

Thursday, July 17, 2008


Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, who was arrested by the police, refused to give a sample for a DNA test when he was brought to Hospital Kuala Lumpur. His lawyer R. Sivarasa said that police requested for a full medical examination at the hospital but only a minimal one was done.

“I can confirm no DNA was taken. At this stage, we are not prepared to agree to that,” Sivarasa told reporters. Anwar was brought to the hospital after his statement was taken yesterday afternoon. He was arrested at 1pm just outside his house in Segambut Dalam. His lawyer Sankara Nair said Anwar, who had finished his appointment with the Anti-Corruption Agency in Putrajaya in the morning, was heading home to refresh himself and say goodbye to his family before going to the police headquarters.

“But as we neared Anwar’s house, we were stopped by policemen and members of the Special Ops Units (UTK) wearing balaclavas,” he told a press conference in the afternoon. “At 11.20am, we told the ACA we had to stop. The officer was reluctant and wanted to finish everything off but we said we had to meet the police,” he added. Sankara said Anwar had no intention of skipping his meeting with the police.

“We promised the ACA we would return on Monday,” he said. Sankara said that at around 12.45pm, he received a call from the police asking if Anwar would be present at the station later, to which Sankara said yes. “But a few minutes later, he was arrested,” he said. Anwar, together with his driver, were in the car with Sankara and his other counsel R. Sivarasa at the time. Sankara said one Supt Taufek, who was in uniform, made the arrest under Section 377C of the Penal Code, although no warrant was produced.

The section is for the offence of carnal intercourse against the order of nature without consent. The lawyer confirmed that the police did not use weapons or handcuff Anwar during the arrest. Sankara said he was disappointed with the police for arresting Anwar when they had given him a 2pm deadline. Sankara, who left the police station at 6pm, said Sivarasa stayed on to advise Anwar, as police allowed only one counsel to be present.

He said there was nothing much the lawyers could do for Anwar at this point in time. “Police can detain him for 24 hours before requesting a remand order from the magistrate for a maximum period of 14 days. “All we can do at this stage is to argue our case with the magistrate on why the remand should not be granted,” he said. About 11.15pm yesterday, PKR supreme council member Badrul Hisham Shaharin addressed the crowd which had gathered outside the police headquarters and told them that Anwar would be held overnight. He also urged the crowd, which held a candlelight vigil, to remain calm. - THe STaR ONLiNe